not sure if this will matter too much, but doesn't <?xml version='1.0'
encoding='utf-8' ?> throw IE into quirks mode?  Would this affect the
Ajax working properly?

also, you are doing $('AjaxQuickSolutionResult').innerHTML = oReq.responseText;

why not $('AjaxQuickSolutionResult').Update(oReq.responseText);

also, you might want to add evalScripts: true to your Ajax.Requests,
but I'm not 100% sure on that bit of advice.