One was to perform this is to use a history IFRAME. (as in Brad
Neuberg's RSH)

1) Make your request to the iframe - I pass it a command and a page
title, separated by underscore.

function getContent(t,c) {
        frames['HIST'].location.href="http://www.mintorentals.com/
historyManFrame.asp?t="+t+"&c="+c
}

2) The iframe sets the location hash and calls your AJAX function on
the parent page.

(this one uses classic ASP)

function hello(){
        baseRef = parent.location.href
        myRef = baseRef.split("#")
        if(myRef.length>0) {
                baseRef = myRef[0]
        }
        parent.location.href=baseRef+"#<%=request("c")%>_<%=request("t")%>"
        parent.document.title = "<%=request("t")%> - Rent Minto";
        parent.getContentH('<%=request("c")%>'); //this calls the actuall
AJAX functionality
}
hello()

3) Intercept the hash on your page, break it into your page title and
and command, execute them as in step 1

incomingRef = document.location.href.split("#")
if(incomingRef.length>1) {
        temp=incomingRef[1].split("_")
        if(temp.length==2) {
                temp=incomingRef[1].split("_")