On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 9:03 AM, spectrus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Laurent,
>
> Yes, it does indeed work with a flat submit, thank you very much for
> the tip. The thing is, I was hoping that somehow I would be able to
> get the PDF download starting, with optionally getting some data back
> for a callback in case something fails and I do get JSON as a
> response, which is impossible if I do a flat submit (am I wrong?). I
> guess you can't have your cake and eat it too.

unless i am missing something you won't be able to feed to the same
browser instance two different things - application/pdf and text/html
without using a response handler to parse some kind of response from
the server (prolly json would be easiest) with a textual response and
then a hidden iframe that you can redirect to a link provided in the
json.

> Brian,
>
> Thank you for the Apache directive! Nice tip, although unfortunately I
> am in an environment where I can't rely on Apache directives, since I
> don't control that. Yes, I don't need AJAX to feed a file to the user,
> but as I mentioned above, I would love to have it in case something
> fails - in that case I can let the user know that something went
> wrong. Perhaps there's a way to do that which I can't see?..

see above

> We are using FPDF (http://www.fpdf.org/), which is free and suits our
> needs pretty well (generating two types of rather simple reports, as
> well as an invoice). Anything better out there?
>
> Best regards,
> Max

yes, something that is much more up to date (and actually still in
development) which is based on FPDF and is free
http://www.tecnick.com/public/code/cp_dpage.php?aiocp_dp=tcpdf