Thanks kangax, that worked well.

One question: since I'm working with dynamically-generated code, is
there some way I can concatenate variable names? For instance, this
code is working in a function, so I actually want to use an ID number
to identify #container. I've tried something like:

$$('#container_'+boxID+' span');

in order to end up with:

$$('#container_1 span');
$$('#container_2 span');
$$('#container_3 span');
etc

but this just prints the string out literally. How can I embed the
variables in there?

Thanks
Matt