On 1.11.2008, at 17.57, Matt wrote:

> On Oct 31, 8:20 pm, Jarkko Laine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Matt, could you elaborate a bit more?
>>
>>> $$('#container_'+boxID+' span');
>>
>> actually looks to be fine. What are you getting with it and what are
>> you expecting?
>>
>> //jarkko
>
> I'm getting the literal string, $$('#container_'+boxID+' span'), with
> the plus symbols and everything. I'm expecting something like so:
>
> function foo(boxID)
> {
> var bar =  $$('#container_'+boxID+' span');
> alert("bar");
> }

1) your alerting with a string "bar" there.
2) $$ returns an array of elements. If you want a single item, why not
give the span a unique id and call it with $? If you need to use the
double-dollar selector, you need to get the first element of the array
to get the actual element: $$('#container_'+boxID+' span')[0]; One
option that gives you the span element (with the html syntax you
posted before) is this: $('container_' + boxID).down('span').

> // returns "$$('#container_24 span')";

You mean the function above alerts that string? Frankly, I don't
believe you :-)

The parameter that $ and $$ take is just a normal string. There's
nothing magical about it. So if you can do "string" + someVar, and the
result is a string, you can give it as a parameter to those functions.

//jarkko

--
Jarkko Laine
http://jlaine.net

Check out my latest book, Unobtrusive Prototype, fresh off the
Peepcode oven:
http://peepcode.com/products/unobtrusive-prototype-js