Sure, there's a feature called 'queues':

http://github.com/madrobby/scriptaculous/wikis/effect-queues

You can queue the effects so that the next one is being fired up after
the first one has finished:

new Effect.BlindUp('my-div',{queue:'end'});

You could limit the queue length to 1, which effectively prevents
other effects till initial effect has finished:

new Effect.BlindUp('my-div',{queue:{ position: 'end', scope: 'blinds',
limit: 1 }});

Or you could, a bit less elegantly, disable the element used to fire
up the effect an re-enable it with 'afterFinish'.