Try new Ajax.Updater(this.id, as you have to pass the id of an
element, not the element itself.

You can optimize your code by just having:

$$('[contenteditable=true]').each(function(el) {

new Ajax.Updater(el.id,'loader.php',{parameters: {field:
el.id}, onComplete: function(){
       alert('check #2: ' + el.innerHTML);