It appears as though without accepts its values in individual
parameters.  Looking at the documentation it does illustrate that each
value is set in as its own parameter.
http://prototypejs.org/api/array/without

Looking into the source it becomes clear that it uses the function's
arguments as array to purge values from, not the first argument as an
array.
A snippet from proto 1.6...

without: function() {
    var values = $A(arguments);
    return this.select(function(value) {
      return !values.include(value);
    });
  },

I'm pretty sure proto's CSS parser can handle the not pseudo selector,
so you can do something like this...

$$(s_CSS + ":not(.nonSpacing)");

http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-selectors/#negation

--