Hi John,

I was hoping someone with a link would chime in here fairly quickly,
but in the absense of that...

This is a known problem.  On IE, to implement the dom:loaded event,
Prototype uses a deferred script tag:

* * * *
    document.write("<script id=__onDOMContentLoaded defer src=//:><\/
script>");
    $("__onDOMContentLoaded").onreadystatechange = function() {
      if (this.readyState == "complete") {
        this.onreadystatechange = null;
        fireContentLoadedEvent();
      }
    };
* * * *

I believe there's an effort under way to change how dom:loaded is
fired on IE so it doesn't do that, as this isn't the only problem it
causes.

HTH,