Not sure I quite understand the suggestion (please explain).  If I end
up revisiting the jquery code, I'll probably just use the
jquery.noConflict() function and reassign the embedded jquery $()
refernces to something different.  Too bad I can't do the same with
the prototype code; there's a lot less of it, and I'm in control of
the scripts... the jquery changes have me at the mercy of the portal
developer.