From: "T.J. Crowder" <t...@crowdersoftware.com>
To: "Prototype & script.aculo.us" <prototype-scriptaculous@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, February 08, 2009 9:54 AM
Subject: [Proto-Scripty] Re: Problems with AJAX/User agent

Hi Andrew,

It sounds as though you've _assumed_ that Prototype changes the user-
agent string based on the authentication mechanism not working, rather
than actually checking to be sure that it does.  It's generally best
to test assumptions before they waste your time.

As far as I can tell, Prototype doesn't change the user agent string.
There's nothing in the code doing it, and I didn't see any difference
in the user agent string in a quick JSP I threw together.  You should
be able to easily check that at your end with a PHP equivalent.

If you read through the Prototype Ajax documentation, there are some
_other_ headers that Prototype adds by default[1].  Perhaps the
authentication mechanism is sensitive to other headers having
differences.

[1] http://prototypejs.org/api/ajax/options

HTH,