Thanks again for your help.

I have spent the last hour reading through the documentation and
working through the example and
also your notes.  I believe I am getting closer, but I did not
understand how your:

//php
foreach($_POST['order'] as $k=>$v){
        if($item = ActiveRecord::FindById('items',$v){
                $v->position = $k+1;
                $v->save();

would be implemented.  I have a code file which my AJAX requests are
passed through, which contains the code:

<?php
        require_once ('chunkslist.class.php');

        $myChunksList = new ChunksList();

        $action = $_GET['action'];
        $chunkTitle = $_GET['chunkTitle'];
        $chunkContent = $_GET['chunkContent'];
        $order = $_GET['order'];

        echo $myChunksList->Process($chunkTitle, $chunkContent, $order,
$action);
?>

in this "$order = $_GET['order'] is the line i have added to handle
the following call:

if (action == "recreateList")
                {
                        params = "?chunkTitle=" + null + "&chunkContent=" +
null +
"&order=" + fooOrder + "&action=recreateList";
                }

the other parts of the javascript file are as you recommended and I
think are working.

So it comes down to the chunkslist.class.php file, I have looked at
the database as I am trying different options and its not changing at
all, either good
or bad (ie corrupting) with the following code:

public function Process($chunkTitle, $chunkContent, $chunksList,
$action)
                {
                        switch($action)
                        {

                                case 'recreateList':
                                        $newOrder = explode('_', $order);
                                        for ($i=0; $i < count($newOrder); $i++)
                                        {
                                                $newOrder[$i] =
$this->mysqlConnection->real_escape_string
($newOrder[$i]);
                                                $result =
$this->mysqlConnection->query('UPDATE chunks SET
order_no="' . $i . '" WHERE id="' . $newOrder[$i] . '"');
                                        }
                                        $recreatedList =
$this->BuildChunksList();
                                        return $recreatedList;
                                break;

I have tried several different versions of this, the one you see is
the one that worked previously before I added the other text, it is
also very similar to the tutorial.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated, I can email the files
if its easier to see that way and you have the time.

Regards