I dont know what is git command - I'm windows user
I do as written on the site:

"Building Prototype from source
prototype.js is a composite file generated from many source files in
the src/ directory. To build Prototype, you’ll need:

a copy of the Prototype source tree, either from a distribution
tarball or from the Git repository (see below)
Ruby 1.8.2 or higher (www.ruby-lang.org/)
Rake — Ruby Make (rake.rubyforge.org/)
RDoc, if your Ruby distribution does not include it
>From the root Prototype directory,

rake dist will preprocess the Prototype source using ERB and generate
the composite dist/prototype.js.
rake package will create a distribution tarball in the pkg/
directory."

But its from some day stoped work properly :(