Are you absolutely sure that your server is returning UTF-8 text to
you? Look in Firebug at the actual response headers and see to be sure.

If you're on Apache, there is a preference for auto-charset that you
have to tweak or disable, and if you're using a PHP back-end, you
often have to go through a couple of hoops to force the output to be
UTF-8. In my own framework, this starts by sending a SQL query to the
database to force the connection to UTF-8, followed by making sure
that all of my scripts are themselves saved as UTF-8, and often also
sending a Content-type/charset header before every print to the
screen, just to overstate the obvious to Apache.

Walter