Yeah I'd say thats a pretty good approach, if you've got 8 active
requests then the timeout duration of the 9th should be affected by
the number of currently active predecessors.  I'd do something in the
onCreate method to just set the instance's timeout universally instead
of trying to micromanage each.

onCreate : function(request){
      request.options.requestTimeout = Ajax.activeRequestCount *
SOME_CONSTANT;
}

I've also done some work with enhancing prototype's Ajax.Request to
accommodate for timeout functionality, have a peak at your
convenience.

http://positionabsolute.net/blog/2008/07/prototype-ajax-request-timeout.php