oh _the_ Matt Foster !
i'm very much aware of your blog and i'll take this opportunity to
thank you for sharing what you share -- it's been an inspiration

finally I ended doing something similar to what you mentioned, i just
named my constant: TOLERANCE_RATIO where
0 : no tolerance : timeout will be kept as is
1 : 100% tolerance : will append the whole cumulative timeout of its
active predecessors

cheers

--
mona