@Mona:

Good catch!

@nroose:

Expanding slightly on what Mona was saying, TR is not longer a valid
child element of TABLE in modern doc types, you must have a TBODY (or
a THEAD or TFOOT) in between.  Most browsers will helpfully insert one
for you if you leave it out of your markup, but that causes problems
when you're doing dynamic DOM manipulation.  This particular problem
-- the way it keeps getting moved down a pixel -- is fascinating. :-)
And easily replicated.

So the moral is:  Put in a TBODY and put the rows in that:

<tbody id='test'>
</tbody>

...and you should be okay.  (In the above I moved the id to the TBODY,
which means your code could be left unchanged.)

The W3C validator[1] may be helpful when diagnosing problems like this
in the future, it would have flagged up the missing tbody assuming you
have a proper doc type on your doc (which you should if you're using
Prototype).

[1] http://validator.w3.org/

HTH,