Well you can engage in use of ":hover" for empty html element, or you could
span will include valid text which will represent link if css fails to load
or search engine will crawl your site. But with css you can push out the
text within span, either by hiding it or moving it out of rendered
dimensions of <a> tag, hide it by overflow property may be, and then just
use ":hover" to switch between images.

--

Thank you.

Alesei Narkevitch