Hi,

You can use effects queues[1] to handle that.  Either use one queue
for all of your effects, or -- and I think this probably makes more
sense if I understand what you're doing -- use a queue for each
element, so the fade can't stomp on the appear.

So where you're creating the appear effect, you might do something
like this:

// Assuming 'element' has a reference to the extended element, and
// that your elements have ids (if they don't, use element.identify()
// instead of element.id)
new Effect.Appear(element, {
    queue: {
        scope:      element.id,
        position:   'end'

...and then when you're creating the fade, it's exactly the same
except for the effect you use.  That way, the fade will allow the
appear to complete before it starts doing the fade, but by using the
element's ID as the queue scope, you don't prevent other effects on
other elements.

[1] http://wiki.github.com/madrobby/scriptaculous/effect-queues

HTH,