ok, I tried your suggestion but this doesn't work at all

have you ever tried the syntax you are suggesting? Because I think
it's wrong...

Caught also in FF's error console as:

Error: missing } after property list
Source File: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Line: 52, Column: 94
Source Code:
     var myAjax = new Ajax.Updater(target, url, {method: 'post',
parameters: { params: pars } onComplete:function(){

and indicating exactly the parameters string, as to say "you cannot
open a bracket there, unless you close the previous one"

However, putting a trailing coma after the parameters corrects this
syntax error, and everything works again

Nevertheless, IE denies to deliver, even using this syntax :(