I just figured out that if I remove the event 'Update:+function call'
changeClass is never executed during 'revert:changeClass'. I planted
an alert statetement right before the function return statement to see
what value is being returned and it doesn't execute if 'Update' is
removed.
So is it the revert event that is not working?

Sortable.create('blank_1',{tag:'span',dropOnEmpty: true,
constraint:true, containment:sections, only:'lineitem',
revert:changeClass});
doesn't call changeClass function/ nothing is returned

Sortable.create('blank_1',{tag:'span',dropOnEmpty: true,
constraint:true, containment:sections, only:'lineitem',
revert:changeClass, onUpdate:function(el){changeClass(el)}});
calles changeClass function/returns false or true.