If you know the order already, you could do something like this:

var foo = $('parentList');
['item_1','item_2','item_3'].each(function(id){
        foo.insert({bottom:$(id).remove()});
});

You could also capture a snapshot of the list before any dragging is
done with

var original = $('parentList').select('li').pluck('id');

And then play that back the same way as the array literal above.

Walter