Hi Doug,

> Do I understand this to mean that Prototype is incapable of issuing a
> true HTTP PUT request, that to issue one, I must deal with the raw XHR
> object?

FWIW, that's my read both of the docs and of the code.  Specifically,
in the Ajax.Request#request method, this code is not in a conditional
branch:

    if (!['get', 'post'].include(this.method)) {
      params['_method'] = this.method;
      this.method = 'post';
    }

You could modify your copy to allow 'put', but I don't know that the
rest of the logic would continue to work.

I don't know the reasoning behind this; I expect there was some. :-)

FWIW,