On Thursday 18 June 2009 10:28:07 T.J. Crowder wrote:
> Hi Doug,
>
> > Do I understand this to mean that Prototype is incapable of issuing a
> > true HTTP PUT request, that to issue one, I must deal with the raw XHR
> > object?
>
> FWIW, that's my read both of the docs and of the code.  Specifically,
> in the Ajax.Request#request method, this code is not in a conditional
> branch:
>
>     if (!['get', 'post'].include(this.method)) {
>       params['_method'] = this.method;
>       this.method = 'post';
>     }
>
> You could modify your copy to allow 'put', but I don't know that the
> rest of the logic would continue to work.
>
> I don't know the reasoning behind this; I expect there was some. :-)

I have a ticket on Lighthouse about a very similar problem (HEAD rather
than PUT) here:

https://prototype.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8886/tickets/707-cannot-make-a-head-request-using-ajax

Might be a good idea to add a request for PUT in a comment on the ticket. The
patch I submitted would be easy to adapt to allow both.

I have no idea why Prototype works this way but I'd guess just an
oversight.

Jim

--
Jim