Thanks for sticking with this, David...

Remember that it works in IE 6 and IE 7, just not in IE 8. It also
works in all other browsers which are 'standards compliant', so it's
definitely an IE 8-only issue. Therefore it's probably something new
that hasn't been catered for by either Prototype or scriptaculous, I'd
say, and so they probably need to be updated to handle this very
standard case in IE 8.

Alex,

I know how to centre a site - the code I posted does exactly what
you've shown, so I'm not sure what you're trying to get at.

Thanks,
Dan