Hi Matt,
bad idea, you should rely on server script to clear user input, not in
client side.
btw, the stripTag method does what you need. To integrate it in the
AJAX.inPlaceEditor, just use the "callback" parameter on its creation.
As doc says:
<< A function that will get executed just before the request is sent
to the server, should return the parameters to be sent in the URL.
Will get two parameters, the entire form and the value of the text
control. >>

--
david