Alex,

It's just that wheb flaglast is true the code

    new Ajax.Updater(
        'updateDiv',
        'fv-c1-arrays4-mysql-minus-wm.php',
        {
            asynchronous:true,
            method:'post',
            parameters: params
        }
    );

works fine and updates the mysql database using the php file but the
text message coming back from the php file into the updateDiv <div>
only stays on the screen for a split second unless I add the alert! Of
course I do not want the alert but by chance I found that having the
alert for some reason causes the message to stay on the screen ...

Cheers

Geoff