I am faced with the same question as the initial author.

The file prototype.js has the following text in the header:
   "Prototype is freely distributable under the terms of an MIT-style
license."

IANAL (I am not a lawyer) but what does "MIT-style" mean?
Is it in any way different from a strict MIT license?  (I believe it
isn't)

To distribute a copy of prototype.js in my project, it might be best
to replace the header in the file with the actual license text.
The MIT license actually asks that <start quote>the above copyright
notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or
substantial portions of the Software.<end quote>.

Regards,

Johan