Alex,

> 1. The element that triggered the call

What element?  Ajax calls can be initiated by any code, anywhere, and
don't necessarily have anything to do with any element "triggering"
them.  For example:

    function pollForData() {
        new Ajax.Request(pollurl, {
            onSuccess: function(resp) {
                doSomethingWithTheData(resp);
            },
            onComplete: function() {
                window.setTimeout(pollForData, pollForDataInterval);
    document.observe("dom:loaded", function() {
        window.setTimeout(pollForData, pollForDataInterval);
    });

There's no element associated with the call. Even in cases where there
is (a request triggered by a button click, for instance), we don't
pass that element into Ajax.Request in any defined way, so there's no
defined way for you to get it.

I think your requirement is at a level above Ajax.Request and
Ajax.Updater, and that you should put your own infrastructure in place
for it. For example:

    var MoreAjax = {
        react: function(element, url, options) {
            var completeCallback;

            element = $(element);
            element.disable();
            if (!options) options = {};
            completeCallback = options.onComplete;
            options.onComplete = function() {
                element.enable();
                if (completeCallback) {
                    completeCallback.apply(undefined, arguments);
                }
            };
        }
    };

That defines an explicit way for you to say "this call was triggered
by this element" and it provides automatic element disabling/
enabling.  So in a click handler:

    $('mybutton').observe('click', function(event) {
        event.stop();
        MoreAjax.react(this, 'myurl', {
            parameters: this.up('form').serialize({hash: true}),
            onSuccess: function(resp) {
                // Some nifty thing

Voila, the button is disabled during the request and enabled when it's
done.

I'm sure that function as written (er, dashed off) is completely wrong
for what you're trying to do, it just illustrates the idea.

In my apps, I never use Ajax.Request or Ajax.Updater directly.  I
always have wrappers that factor out the complexity in ways
appropriate to the application.

FWIW!