On Sep 4, 4:40 am, JoJo <tokyot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ^ great article!
>
> Now I have another question.  Here is my new workflow in an attempt to
> execute files in the correct order across all browsers.  It works in
> IE8, but not in IE7.  In IE7 I get an error saying "object expected"
> on line 2 of main.js.  This is not very descriptive; what does it
> mean?
>
> (1) include my global wrapper MYAPP.js:
>
>     MYAPP = {class1: null, class2: null}

MYAPP is an instance of the built-in Object object (i.e. a native
object). Because it has not been declared, it doesn't exist until the
code is executed.

> (2) include Class1.js (no instantiation)
> (3) include Class2.js (no instantiation)
> (4) include main.js:
>
>     Event.observe(window, 'load', function() {
>         MYAPP.class1  = new MYAPP.Class1();

Even if MYAPP exists at this point, the above won't work: the only
native objects that can be used as constructors are function objects.
MYAPP is and native object, it can't be used as a constructor as it
doesn't have an internal [[consruct]] method (functions do).

See ECMA-262 section 11.2.2:

--
Rob