2009/9/14 Russell Keith <russell.ke...@aacreditunion.org>:
> I have the following code that works just fine.  I can’t figure out how to
> tell how many check boxes are checked.  I want to limit it to four check
> boxes.  Any help would be appreciated, or even a point in the right
> direction.
>

> $$('input.check').each(function(elem){
>
> elem.observe('click', function(){
>
>                                 alert(elem.id);
>
>                 });
>
> });

I have a similar process.

My solution was to put the <input type="checkbox"> into a <div id="cb_div">

I then use ...

$('cb_div').observe('click', function(ev){
   if (4 == $$('cb_div input[type="checkbox"][checked="checked"]').length) {
    ev.stop();
    return false;

sort of thing.

Basically use a selector to find the number of checked checkboxes
inside the div holding the checkboxes. If this number is equal to or
greater than 4, then don't bubble the event / ignore the event.

If it is less than 4, then do nothing as the event will bubble and the
checkbox will get its click.

--
-----
Richard Quadling