Rather than hide it you could remove it completely from the DOM.  If your
element isn't recreated via ajax after a drop, move it yourself after a
successful drop by removing it from the DOM and reinserting it where it was
dropped (or wherever makes sense for that matter if the target is sorted
somehow.).