Well, I've just try it and can confirm that behaviour. I would suggest
these options:

   1. Change effect to pulsate (I've tested it in FF) or some other
   2. Create overlay div and apply effect highlight to it
   3. Change the look of buttons (bg color, border) when you apply
      highlight effect it will not break

Marko