I'm not sure what is best practice in this situation.  I have a quiz
add icon that, when clicked, adds an element to a quiz list.  Right
now it is using a link_to_remote with an image_tag (in ruby rails) and
when clicked it hits the server, saves the quiz add/remove toggle and
then uses rjs to change the icon.

It seems that it would be faster to use straight javascript to observe
the icon and then when clicked change the icon and create an
ajax.request to run in the background to save the add/remove toggle to
the database.  Would this be better?  I know it would seem faster to
the user, but maybe it is good to make the user wait until the save to
the database / ajax.request call is completed?  That way it would
prevent the user from clicking the icon rapidly and creating a number
of ajax.requests in a row.

Any input is appreciated, Dave