Hi,

> ...Form.serialize(true) is not escaping any HTML characters while the
> object is made.

HTML characters don't need to be escaped to be sent as URL-encoded
data, the <, >, and & aren't special.[1]  Other charcters, such as
plus signs (+), percent signs (%), and many others do need to be
encoded to bet sent in URL-encoded data.

Prototype does the URL-encoding at the point where the data becomes a
string.  So if you call Form#serialize(false), because you're getting
back a URL-encoded string, special characters like the percent sign
are encoded; but if you call Form#serialize(true), no encoding is done
and you get back an object instance -- and then the encoding is done
as part of making the Ajax call, when that instance is converted into
a URL-encoded string.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percent-encoding

HTH,
Independent Software Consultant