Is it poor practice to use $$?

   $$('#grandparent #parent tag.class');

I've been using $$ quite a lot because it has sped up DEVELOPMENT, but
now I have realized that it will slow down MAINTENANCE.  Recently, my
boss asked me to move a whole div to another part of the page.  Since
I was accessing that div with $$, I was forced to change my JS along
with my HTML.  If I had accessed that div with $('elementID'), I would
have only needed to edit my HTML.

For this, I believe that $$ is a violation of the model-view-
controller paradigm.  HTML and CSS are the view.  JS should be thought
of as the controller.  If you think about it, JS processes user input
just like PHP, except on a livelier schedule.  To make your website
easier to implement, you should refrain from using $$ to describe the
HTML structure.

What are your thoughts?