Google is my friend. Naturally, the next result I hit upon told me
that there might be a mismatch between the URL requested by the form's
Action and the rest of the page. Sure enough, I had used PHP's
$_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'] to construct the URL, and it wasn't the same
as the request (missing the WWW part) so this error cropped up. I
chopped down the Action to just the script name, and it works like a
big dog.

Walter