I ram into this problem but it was effecting all browsers (perhaps
apart from FF) only IE didn't give the useful error message...

Eventually I figured out that my templates included a <base /> tag in
the head section of the page which was causing the problem. I think
the base href was being set to something different from the actual
domain. As far as I understand this is not allowed with ajax requests
for security reasons. i.e. to prevent cross site scripting attacks.

First thing  I would say is check to make sure there are no <base />
tags in your template. In my case it was only the first page load that
didn't work. Reloading the page all worked fine.