JoJo,

> $('foo').update('<script ..... ' + this.someVariable + '/>);

You're inserting a script tag, which means the code should be
evaluated. Don't you want to use a <code> or <pre> tag instead? Or do
you want the text "<script..." to actually show up?

Just think in terms of how you would do this if you were just writing
a boring old HTML page. For instance, if you actually want the
characters "<script ....." to show up in the rendered page, how would
you do that? That's right, "&lt;script ....."

HTH,
Independent Software Consultant
tj / crowder software / com
www.crowdersoftware.com