From: "joe t." <thooke...@gmail.com>
To: "Prototype & script.aculo.us" <prototype-scriptaculous@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, December 12, 2009 2:24 AM
Subject: [Proto-Scripty] Re: Progressive update messages from single request

Alex,
Thanks for the sample. i must be missing a piece somewhere though...
http://pastie.org/739926

>From that single Ajax.Request, the client delays, and after the PHP is
done running, i get the complete output in one block. What i'd
anticipated was that in each loop, the flush() would somehow send that
output to the client where it could be used, then the next loop's
flush would send another output to the client...

If i'm understanding it, Ajax is a single-request-single-response. i
can't output the current step a process is in as it happens. i can
accumulate them, as your model shows, and dump that out as a log, of
sorts. But in order to monitor progress of one request's processing on
the server, a series of follow-ups have to get feedback which the
original is providing on the side (as T.J. recommended).

Unless i'm missing something, which would be great if you could help
me fill that in. :)
-joe t.