If you're using the latest Prototype, you can observe mousenter and mouseleave, which do precisely what you want. Otherwise you have to go through a bunch of hoops that determine if the event was fired on the parent element or on one of its children. I believe that's more or less what the mousenter/leave observers do.

Walter