I have a jsp where i include this:

<script src="js/scriptaculous/prototype.js" type="text/javascript"></
script>
<script src="js/scriptaculous/effects.js" type="text/javascript"></
script>
<script src="js/scriptaculous/controls.js" type="text/javascript"></
script>

then i use it like this:

<input name="apellido"  autocomplete='off' id="apellidoId" size="40"
type="text" value="" />
 <script type="text/javascript">
             new Ajax.Autocompleter('apellidoId',
'apellidoIdAutoComplete', "autoComplete.do?tipoComplete=apellido",
{paramName: "valor", minChars: 3})
</script>

then i have a class which loads de collectiion (colAutoComplete ... it
loads the collection correctly) an then goes to a jsp that looks like
this:

<ul>
        <logic:iterate id="elemento" name="colAutoComplete"
indexId="indice">
                <li><bean:write name="elemento" /></li>
        </logic:iterate>
</ul>