I have solved the problem. The issue was with PHP, not JS. In my
crosss-site PHP script, I used these two headers:

header( 'Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate' );
header( 'Cache-Control: post-check=0, pre-check=0', false );

IE6 cannot understand this, so I changed it to:

header( 'Cache-Control: max-age=0, must-revalidate, post-check=0, pre-
check=0', false );