Thanks, Franck, but no. I'm working on a very basic site host which
has no
server-side scripting available (the customer doesn't have/doesn't
want
to spend the money for the extra services, and it's only going to
last
until November - it's a political campaign site). Otherwise, I'd use
that in a heartbeat and would not have this problem.
Basically, I'm trying to use scriptaculous to jazz up the site
behaviours a bit (fade between pages).

Two things I noticed:
     whenever I try to set the <iframe> src to a new page, it loads
the
page, blanks it out, and when I inspect the DOM tree,

    * display is set to :none in the <iframe> and <body>,
    * the <iframe>.src value reverts to "".

I did see another thread here that might address the problem
(observe("dom:loaded")). I'm going to try that out...