Well, I'm inserting it into a div node so it knows where to be layed
out. Basically I have:

document.observe('dom:loaded', function() {
        loader();
});

So if loader() just consists of what you have, it doesn't know where
to be drawn.
So, neither of these attempts result in the calendar being drawn on
screen.

Does that make any more sense?