Hey Jinsa,

good of you!

Hard pressed to come up with a solution, I ran the HTML (generated by
Formtastic) through validator.w3.org - and turned out the input tag
was not closed properly ( <input /> was missing the slash). Posted my
observation to the Formtastic group here on Google - and they pointed
my attention to the DOCTYPE. I use the DOCTYPE suggested by the Rails
framework - but browsers apparently do not interpret the handling of
tags uniformly :(
(really can't say I didn't know that)

Lesson learned:
building documents dynamically using innerHTML - or via Prototype
methods (replace and update) - it is of vital importance to have the
dynamic HTML validated, or selecting a DOCTYPE which will allow for
looser interpretations, at least pertaining to forms manipulation and
Ajax calls.

I have to apologise here! Neither Prototype nor Script.aculo.us is to
blame - and I've been crying wolf for no reason at all.

Please excuse my lack of command in the W3C specs <:(

Cheers,
Walther