Hi,

iPhone and friends use dedicated event like touchstart, touchend,
touchmove and touchcancel (those 4 ones seems to do what you're
looking for and seems to be supported by both iPhone and Androids
phones (with the stock browser)).

You may find an exhaustive(?) list of event supported by your browser
by opening this page:
http://yura.thinkweb2.com/isEventSupported/

HTH,
Eric

Note: You may have to implement your own drag'n drop framework using
those messages since I have no idea if scriptaculous one support them
(probably not or you wouldn't have asked :o) ).