Hi,

The problem is that your script is trying to reference something that
doesn't exist yet. The script is intepreted inline with the parsing of
the page, so the 'bodyid' element doesn't exist as of when you try to
do something with it.

The dom:loaded version should have worked, because that specifically
what that event is for. You'd have to show up more of your actual (non
"blah blah") code for us to help with that bit. :-)

But basically:

document.observe("dom:loaded", pageLoad);

function pageLoad() {
    // read your cookie here

    // set up an unload handler to write it
    Event.observe(window, 'unbeforeload', pageUnloading);
}
function pageUnloading() {
    // write your cookie here
}