To continue form submitting you can directly call the submit after the
ajax validation.
a quick example could be:

[code]
var form = $('form_id');

form.observe('submit', function(event){
        event.stop();
        new Ajax.Request(validition_url, {
                onSuccess : function(response)
                {
                       // if the response is empty submit the form
                       if ( ! response.responseText)
                                return form.submit();
                        // else show errors
                        alert('error');
[/code]

May i ask why don't you move the validation into the method that is
the action of the form?
in this case the solution provided by T.J is perfect, the same php
method is invoked both for the ajax validation that the form action
(remember the flag viaAjax).

What if is a user has javascript disabled? or a malicious user
bypasses the validation sending a malformed request directly to the
action of the form?

sorry for my bad english and my divagations about the security :)

Federico