To: <prototype-scriptaculous@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2010 11:57 PM
Subject: Re: [Proto-Scripty] Sorting some spans.

On 1 July 2010 21:28, Alex McAuley <webmas...@thecarmarketplace.com> wrote:
If I was tackling this I would attach a class and id to the spans and select them all then find out all of the widths of each span as a number then sort them into high to low / low to high then redraw them all .. Prolly not the
most efficient but it would work.

If you are using php you could do this without javascript based on strlen of the text that sits in the span and sort() / usort() the array then loop it

The widths are dependent upon the font, size and styling being used,
not under my control.

The size of the display isn't under my control.

So all of this is done in realtime on the client. Chrome is WAY the
fastest in this and is not really noticeable.

IE and FF are quite slow, but I've not yet optimized the code.

So once the client has tidied the display, I know how many columns I
can have to fill.

The example I provided is dummy data and without the JS to do the calc.

I'm stuck on the algorithm for sorting the data the way I want. I can
see that I need to tag the spans if I want to sort them, but I can't
work out what the sort mechanics need to be.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Prototype & script.aculo.us" group. To post to this group, send email to prototype-scriptacul...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to prototype-scriptaculous+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/prototype-scriptaculous?hl=en.